WWE Main Roster Territory Report (November 17th, 2018)
- Upcoming Matches and Shows
- Championship Landscape
1. News and Overview
This was arguably one of the most eventful weeks of WWE’s year. Considering Roman Reigns’ recent announcement, Crown Jewel, and now what happened this week, November 2018 has been one of the most talked about months in WWE’s recent history. It started Monday night when Becky Lynch suffered a concussion and continued on Tuesday with Daniel Bryan’s WWE Championship win.
Becky Lynch Suffers Concussion On Monday Night Raw
Nearing the end of Monday Night Raw, cameras caught Becky Lynch having locked the Raw Women’s Champion in an arm-bar in the back. She later sauntered out to the ring area before a melee between the Raw women’s division and the Smackdown version commenced. During the melee, Nia Jax punched Becky Lynch in the face, basically causing it to explode. Lynch’s face was busted open for the remainder of the show. She posed in the crowd with arms spread in an image which will likely be used in WWE video packages for decades.
Unfortunately, the punch did more than bust open Lynch’s nose. She’d be diagnosed with a concussion and WWE confirmed on Tuesday night she will be unable to compete at Survivor Series.
Lynch, Jax, and Rousey have all been playing up what happened on social media.
Ronda Rousey vs Charlotte Flair At Survivor Series
Lynch announced on Smackdown she won’t be cleared to compete on Sunday. She then named Charlotte Flair as her replacement to go against Ronda Rousey on Sunday. They then shared an awkward hug. It was not the only match for Survivor Series to be changed Tuesday night, however.
Flair won the Champion vs Champion women’s match at Survivor Series versus Alexa Bliss last year. With that being said, Flair is on something of a losing streak, having lost her last two title matches to Lynch.
Nia Jax Awaiting Ronda Rousey After Survivor Series
No matter the result at Survivor Series, Nia Jax has next crack at Ronda Rousey and the Raw Women’s Championship. She earned that right when she won the Battle Royal at Evolution. It also appears that Nia Jax has enlisted the help of Tamina as well. Both Jax and Tamina will be in the Raw vs Smackdown women’s division Survivor Series match.
Daniel Bryan Defeated AJ Styles, Wins WWE Championship
Amazingly, Daniel Bryan winning the WWE Championship is not the lead story this week. That’s how popular Becky Lynch has become and how much interest there is in wanting to see her go against Ronda Rousey.
In the main event of Smackdown, however, Daniel Bryan ended AJ Styles’ 53-week reign as WWE Champion. The match was made earlier in the evening after Bryan interrupted a Styles and Paul Heyman interview segment meant to build-up their match at Survivor Series. After things got physical, a match between the two for the title was made for later that night. With the referee out of position, Bryan gave AJ a low-blow (likely something he learned from Nakamura’s approach to facing AJ), delivered the running knee to the face and got the pin.
Bryan would later refuse to answer questions about his tactics used in the match against AJ. The former champion neglected to compete later in the evening during the Mixed Match Challenge. He was replaced on his team by Jeff Hardy.
AJ Styles’ WWE Champion Reign
Style’s WWE Championship reign ends at just over a year with 13 title defenses airing on WWE programming.
Champion: AJ Styles
Won: Smackdown November 7th, 2017 from Jinder Mahal
Title Defenses: 13
Challengers: Jinder Mahal (Clash of Champions), Owens & Zayn (handicap match – Royal Rumble 2018), Baron Corbin/Dolph Ziggler/John Cena/Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn (6-pack challenge Fastlane 2018), Shinsuke Nakamura (WM34), DCO- Shinsuke Nakamura (GRR), No-Contest – Shinsuke Nakamura (Backlash 2018), Shinsuke Nakamura (MITB 2018), Rusev (Extreme Rules 2018), DQ loss to Samoa Joe (Summerslam 2018), Samoa Joe (HIAC), Samoa Joe (Super Show-Down), Daniel Bryan (Smackdown), Samoa Joe (Crown Jewel)
Styles would write the following in reference to his loss on Tuesday:
“The thing about being a real Champion, a reigning, DEFENDING champion is that any day someone can beat you. But holding the title is more than just wins and losses, it’s about who you are as a man. Daniel showed us that last night. And the receipt is coming. #SDLive.”
Daniel Bryan Championship Statistics
This is Daniel Bryan’s 4th reign as WWE Champion and 5th time holding a World Championship in WWE.
Bryan’s first title reign started at the TLC PPV in 2011 when Bryan cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase on the Big Show after Show had just taken the title from Mark Henry. He would then defend the title successfully against Big Show, Mark Henry, a 3-way with both of them, and then in the Elimination Chamber early the next year. Sheamus would defeat him in short order at WrestleMania 28 to end his reign.
Bryan’s next title reign came when he defeated John Cena for the WWE title at SummerSlam 2013. Unfortunately, Randy Orton would cash in his Money in the Bank briefcase that same night to take the title off of him. Bryan would defeat Orton for the title the next month at Night of Champions but was then stripped of the title after the referee said he made a fast count in the match. It wouldn’t be until WrestleMania 30 when Bryan would win the title again. He would vacate the title for the second time just 64 days later when his concussion issues started to come to the surface.
Daniel Bryan vs Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series
The top men’s singles match this year at Survivor Series will be Daniel Bryan taking on Brock Lesnar. In last year’s Men’s Champion vs Champion match, Lesnar defeated AJ Styles not long after Styles had defeated Jinder Mahal for the title. No word on what role, if any, Styles will have at the upcoming PPV.
Randy Orton On Not Being Selected To Team Smackdown
Despite being one of the best Survivor Series contestants of all time, the Miz neglected to pick Randy Orton for his team on Sunday. Orton sent out the following Tweet in response to James Ellsworth asking what the most surprising moment of the week was:
“Me not being in the traditional #SurvivorSeries match for the 11th time even though I am the GOAT in that particular match. And @AJStylesOrg got kicked in the nuts. Again.”
Starrcade To Air On WWE Network
Starrcade will take place on Saturday, November 24th from Cincinnati. A one-hour special will air 24 hours later on the WWE Network. Here is the lineup currently scheduled for the event:
- Street Fight for the WWE Intercontinental Title: Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins
- WWE United States Title Match: Rey Mysterio vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
- SmackDown Tag Team Title Match: The New Day vs. The Bar
- Steel Cage Match: Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles
- Braun Strowman vs. Baron Corbin
- Finn Balor vs. Drew McIntyre
- Rusev with Lana vs. The Miz
- Elias performs a special concert with WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair
- Alexa Bliss has posted on social media that she’s back in the gym working out and hoping to get cleared soon. There is still no timetable on her return, however.
- Luke Harper is recovering from wrist surgery – no timetable for his return either. Rowan suffered a torn bicep in the summer which required surgery. An early 2019 return is possible if all goes well.
2. WWE Results
Monday Night Raw
November 12th, 2018
Kansas City, Missouri, USA
- Dana Brooke defeated Alicia Fox
- Apollo Crews & Tyler Breeze defeated Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder
Monday Night Raw
- Tag Team Battle Royal ruled no-contest (Braun Strowman interference)
- Tamina defeated Ember Moon
- Finn Balor defeated Dolph Ziggler
- Bobby Roode & Chad Gable defeated Heath Slater & Rhyno vs the Ascension vs Lucha House Party vs the Revival vs the B-Team (Tag Team Battle Royal Rules)
- Bobby Lashley defeated Elias via count-out
- Bayley vs Sasha Banks – no contest
Smackdown Live/205 Live
November 13th, 2018
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
- Drew Gulak & Jack Gallagher defeated Akira Tozawa & Brian Kendrick
- The Lucha House Party (Lince Dorado & Kalisto) defeated Kraig Keesaman & Mike Karma
- Cedric Alexander defeated Lio Rush
- Jeff Hardy defeated Andrade “Cien” Almas
- Rey Mysterio defeated the Miz
- The Bar & the Big Show defeated New Day
- WWE Championship
Daniel Bryan defeated AJ Styles (c) – Title Change
3. Upcoming Matches and Shows
Survivor Series 2018
November 21st, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
- Universal Champion vs WWE Champion
Brock Lesnar (c) vs Daniel Bryan (c)
- Smackdown vs Raw Women’s Champion
Charlotte Flair vs Ronda Rousey (c)
- Raw Tag Team Champions vs Smackdown Tag Team Champions
The Authors of Pain (c) vs The Bar (c)
- Cruiserweight Championship
Buddy Murphy (c) vs Mustafa Ali
- United States Champion vs Intercontinental Champion
Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Seth Rollins
- 5-on-5 Raw vs Smackdown Men’s Traditional Survivor Series Match
Dolph Ziggler, Drew McIntyre, Braun Strowman, TBA, TBA (Raw) vs. The Miz, Daniel Bryan, Shane McMahon, Rey Mysterio, Samoa Joe (Smackdown)
- 5-on-5 Raw vs Smackdown Women’s Traditional Survivor Series Match
TBA 5x (managed by Alexa Bliss) (Raw) vs Carmella, Sonya Deville, Asuka, Naomi
- 5-on-5 Raw vs Smackdown Men’s Tag Team Traditional Survivor Series Match
5x TBA vs New Day, the Usos, TBA
4. Championship Landscape
Champion: Brock Lesnar
Won: vs Braun Strowman (vacant) at Crown Jewel
Title Defenses: 0
Raw Women’s Championship
Champion: Ronda Rousey
Won: Summerslam 2018 From Alexa Bliss
Title Defenses: 2
Challengers: Alexa Bliss (HIAC), Nikki Bella (Evolution)
Raw Tag Team Championships
Champions: The Authors of Pain (Akam & Rezar)
Won: from Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose (Raw – November 5th, 2018)
Title Defenses: 0
Champion: Seth Rollins
Won: Summerslam 2018 from Dolph Ziggler
Title Defenses: 2
Challengers: Kevin Owens (Raw), Dolph Ziggler (Raw)
Champion: Daniel Bryan
Won: Smackdown November 13th, 2018 from AJ Styles
Title Defenses: 0
Smackdown Women’s Championship
Champion: Becky Lynch
Won: HIAC from Charlotte Flair
Title Defenses: 3
Challengers: loss to Charlotte Flair via DQ (Super Show-Down), vs Charlotte Flair double count-out (Smackdown), defeated Charlotte Flair (Last Woman Standing – Evolution)
Smackdown Tag Team Championships
Champions: the Bar
Won: Smackdown October 16tht, 2018 from New Day
Title Defenses: 1
Challengers: New Day (Crown Jewel)
United States Championship
Champion: Shinsuke Nakamura
Won: Extreme Rules 2018 – from Jeff Hardy
Title Defenses: 5
Challengers: loss via DQ to Jeff Hardy (Smackdown), Jeff Hardy (Summerslam), loss via DQ to Jeff Hardy (Smackdown), vs Tye Dillinger – No Contest (Smackdown), defeated Rusev (Crown Jewel Kickoff)
4. Estimated Rankings:
- The Bellas have been dropped from the Raw women’s divisions rankings.
- #3 (Raw) Tamina moves up several spots after defeating #4 (Raw) Ember Moon.
- #4 (Raw) Finn Balor moves up after defeating #5 Dolph Ziggler.
- #2 (Raw) Bobby Lashley moves up after defeating #3 Elias.
- #1 (Raw TT) Bobby Roode & Chad Gable move up to the #1 spot after winning the tag-team battle royal.
- Shane McMahon has been removed from the rankings due to admitting he’s not the Best in the World.
- #2 (SD) Rey Mysterio and #3 (SD) the Miz switch spots after Mysterio defeated the Miz.
- WWE Champion Daniel Bryan (c) wins the title and drops #1 (SD) AJ Styles out of the position for the first time in over a year.
- Noam Dar (205 Live) moved to NXT UK Division
- #11 (205) Jack Gallagher and #12 Brian Kendrick swap places due to results in a tag match
Universal Champion: Brock Lesnar
Intercontinental Champion: Seth Rollins
- Braun Strowman
- Bobby Lashley
- Finn Balor
- Dolph Ziggler
- Drew McIntyre
- Kurt Angle
- Dean Ambrose
- Constable Corbin
- Zack Ryder
- Apollo Crews
- Jinder Mahal
- Titus O’Neal
- Tyler Breeze
- Mojo Rawley
Raw Women’s Champion: Ronda Rousey
- Alexa Bliss
- Nia Jax
- Ember Moon
- Ruby Riott
- Sasha Banks
- Dana Brooke
- Sarah Logan
- Liv Morgan
- Alicia Fox
Raw Tag Team Champions: Authors of Pain (Akam & Rezar)
- Roode & Gable
- Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre
- The B Team
- Lucha House Party
- The Revival
- The Ascension
- Heath Slater and Rhyno
WWE Champion: Daniel Bryan
United States Champion: Shinsuke Nakamura
- AJ Styles
- Rey Mysterio
- The Miz
- Randy Orton
- Samoa Joe
- Jeff Hardy
- Shelton Benjamin
- Andrade “Cien” Almas
- Tye Dillinger
- Aiden English
Smackdown Women’s Champion: Becky Lynch
- Charlotte Flair
- Billie Kay
- Peyton Royce
- Sonya Deville
- Mandy Rose
Smackdown Tag Team Champions: The Bar
- The Usos
- New Day
- The Club
- The Colons
WWE Cruiserweight Champion: Buddy Murphy
- Mustafa Ali
- Tony Nese
- Cedric Alexander
- Drew Gulak
- Hideo Itami
- Lio Rush
- Akira Tozawa
- Gran Metalic
- Jack Gallagher
- Brian Kendrick
- Mike Kannelis
- Lince Dorado