Last night on RAW, AJ Styles, Luke Gallows, and Karl Anderson attacked Ricochet after the US champion defeated Styles to retain his title. Following the Club’s attack on Ricochet, the newly reformed stable stood tall to end the show.
Styles took to his Mixer Live account to explain his actions.
transcriptions via Comicbook.com (transcriptions are hard)
“So, it is what it is,” Styles said. “Some of you may have not liked it. Some of you may have absolutely loved it. And here’s the one thing that I know. There’s not a lot of people in this world that you can trust. But I do trust my family.”
“And here’s why. I feel like AJ Styles was stuck in this, ‘I’m going to smile all the time, I’m going to be the nicest guy in the room even when I don’t feel like it, when I’m tired. He’s going to be this guy’ [mode]. I felt like I was in prison. And I just broke out.”
“… but the character? Oh man, the guy you see on Raw has done a 180,” he said. “The guy on Raw, the AJ Styles that’s now in The Club, I’m just letting you guys know I’m taking over. That’s what’s going to happen. That AJ Styles isn’t going to put up with any crap. He’s going to be the guy that drops dudes on their face with a Styles Clash or rocks with a Phenomenal Forearm or crushes their calf. That’s the kind of thing I do. I’m not going to change how I wrestle, I’ve always wrestled aggressive. So that will never change.”
Club Members React
NONE…Welcome to the party 🍻🇯🇵 https://t.co/3R47IXRv8b
— Luke Gallows (@LukeGallowsWWE) July 2, 2019
How Long Will The Club Last?
There are some questions regarding how long the newly reformed stable will last, however. Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows’ contracts with WWE expire in just two months time. Their contract status was addressed in the Wrestling Observer shortly after news broke that the team had turned down contract offers from WWE.
“Many have not signed because they are waiting to see the lay of the land when their deals are up,” noted Meltzer. “For Gallows & Anderson, they’ll have a far better idea in September about their next five years than now.”
As for Styles, however, he re-signed with the company earlier this year and would later say in an interview he does not plan on leaving WWE for the rest of his career.
“I can tell you that this contract that I’ve signed is my last, this is the perfect place for me to be. It’s family-oriented, I have no problem taking my family to the shows. It’s a PG product, which I enjoy. I’m in the best place I can be for my career.”
This is the newest member of my family. Also, I’ve signed a new contract with the WWE. What a cute little guy. pic.twitter.com/PNqh9shgTH
— AJStyles.Org (@AJStylesOrg) March 18, 2019
— Karl Anderson (@KarlAndersonWWE) July 2, 2019