NXT Takeover: War Games
November 18th, 2017
Statistics do not include house show results…
Kassius Ohno vs. Lars Sullivan
- Ohno comes into this match having won 4 straight televised matches. He’s 6-2 in singles matches in 2017, his only losses coming in an NXT title match against Bobby Roode and a match against Aleister Black.
- Sullivan is undefeated in singles matches, though he is 0-3 in tag bouts. He also won a 3-on-1 handicap match over 3 local talents back in August. He’s 4-0 in singles matches, having defeated No Way Jose, Danny Burch, Oney Lorcan, and Raul Mendoza.
Aleister Black vs. the Velveteen Dream
- Aleister Black is 11-0 in NXT. He’s defeated Andrade Almas, Kona Reeves, Corey Hollis, Cezar Bononi, Curt Hawkins 2x, Kassius Ohno, Bobby Fish, Kyle O’Reilly, Raul Mendoza and Hideo Itami.
- Velveteen Dream’s 1st year in NXT didn’t start off great. He lost to Austin Aries, Rich Swann, and to Team DIY with partner Tucker Knight. In 2017, however, he developed the Velveteen Dream character and much like his opponent at Takeover, is undefeated in singles matches on NXT TV.
- He’s 7-0 in 2017 and has defeated Sean Maluta, Robert Anthony, Raul Mendoza, Ho Ho Lun, Cezar Bononi 2x, and Lio Rush.
- Two guys with long winning streaks collide on the undercard.
Drew McIntyre (c) vs. Andrade Almas w/ Zelina Vega
- Drew McIntyre will be going for his 2nd televised title defense at Takeover. His first was over Roderick Strong in September.
- McIntyre is the 11th person to hold the NXT championship and his reign is the 13th all time. He is 6-0 on NXT television since returning to the company in May.
- As for Almas, he has had an up and down run in NXT but seems to have hit his stride in his current heel persona. Almas is 9-5 in 2017, all of them singles matches. He’s defeated Oney Lorcan 2x, Ho Ho Lun, Danny Burch, No Way Jose, Johnny Gargano 2x, Cezar Bononi, and Roderick Strong. Almas has been defeated by Roderick Strong, Aleister Black, Drew McIntyre, Kassius Ohno, and Cezar Bononi.
NXT Women’s Championship
Ember Moon vs. Kairi Sane vs. Nikki Cross vs. Peyton Royce
- Ember Moon comes into this one having won 5 of her last 6, with her only loss being to Asuka at NXT Takeover Brooklyn III. In 2017, Moon is 6-2 in singles matches having defeated Aliyah, Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, Rubi Riot, Lei’D Tapa, and Mercedes Martinez. Her losses both came to Asuka. Moon also won a triple threat match against Riot and Sonya Deville to qualify for this match.
- Kairi Sane comes into this match undefeated in WWE having won the Mae Young Classic in 5 straight matches and then having defeated Aliyah and Billie Kay in single’s action since starting in NXT.
- Nikki Cross is 3-1 in singles matches in NXT, having defeated Kennedy Lewis, Macey Estrella, and Taynara Conti. Her loss was to Asuka in a Last Woman Standing match for the championship. She won a battle royal to qualify for this match.
- Royce won a triple threat match over Liv Morgan and Nikki Cross to earn a spot in this match. In 2017, Royce is 4-2 in singles matches having defeated Aliyah, Sarah Logan 2x, and Ruby Riot. Her losses were to Asuka in a championship match and Ember Moon back in May.
the Authors of Pain & Roderick Strong vs. Sanity vs. the Undisputed Era
- This match could have tag-team championship implications as Sanity currently hold the belts, the AOP want to become 2x champions, and O’Reilly and Fish are also targetting the belts as well.
- For Fish and O’Reilly, this will be just their 4th televised match in NXT (1-2). Cole is 1-2 as well, having lost to Strong via DQ, beaten Eric Young, and lost in a tag to Sanity via DQ.
- Sanity won the tag titles at Takeover Brooklyn by beating the Authors of Pain. AOP beat them via DQ in the rematch on October 4th, however.
Official War Games Match Rules:
The rules of the match are as follows:
- The three-member teams of SAnitY (Eric Young, Alexander Wolfe & Killian Dain), Undisputed ERA (Adam Cole, Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly), and The Authors of Pain (Akam & Rezar) & Roderick Strong will wage war inside a massive steel cage that surrounds TWO rings.
- All three teams will be contained inside separate shark cages by the entranceway, with a member from each team (as chosen by his respective squad) starting the match.
- After five minutes, the remaining members from one team will be released from their shark cage and allowed to enter the match.
- When another three-minute period elapses, the remaining members from a second team are released from their shark cage and enter the match.
- Following another three-minute period, the final team’s members are released from their shark cage and enter the match.
- Once all three teams have entered the WarGames Match, a victory can be attained via pinfall or submission.