The 1st round of the 2018 New Japan Cup concluded early this morning/last night.
New Japan Cup 2018 1st Round
Here are the results from the entire 1st round:
- Juice Robinson defeated Yujiro Takahashi
- Michael Elgin defeated Tomohiro Ishii
- Bad Luck Fale defeated Lance Archer
- Hiroshi Tanahashi defeated Taichi
- Kota Ibushi defeated YOSHI-HASHI
- Zack Sabre Jr. defeated Tetsuya Naito
- Toru Yano defeated Davey Boy Smith Jr. via count-out
- SANADA defeated Chuckie T
Quarter-Final Mathes Confirmed:
- Juice Robinson vs Michael Elgin (March 14th)
- Bad Luck Fale vs Hiroshi Tanahashi (March 14th)
- Kota Ibushi vs Zack Sabre Jr. (March 15th)
- Toru Yano vs SANADA (March 15th)
Togi Makabe Injury
Togi Makabe has been pulled from the next few New Japan Cup tour shows due to injury. Makabe dropped his IWGP Intercontinental Title Match to Minoru Suzuki on March 6th. Suzuki focussed on Makabe’s knee during the match although he would ultimately win with a Gotch Piledriver.
Acting under medical advice following damage sustained to his right knee, Togi Makabe was absent from March 9’s New Japan Cup opening night in Korakuen Hall. Makabe will also be absent from Saturday March 10 in Aichi until Monday March 12 in Takamatsu. A decision will then be made as to his further participation on the New Japan Cup tour.
There is no timetable for Makabe’s return, though it does not appear he will miss much time.