Hell in a Cell
October 8th, 2017
Little Ceasar’s Arena
1. Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin vs. the Hype Brothers
- Gable and Benjamin defeated the Hype Bros on the Sin City Smackdown episode which featured Kevin Owens headbutting Vince McMahon.
- Gable and Benjamin are 2-0 in televised tag matches as they have also beaten the Ascension.
- The Hype Bros have dropped 5 straight (all on Smackdown).
- Their last televised win was over the Colons in June.
- The Hype Bros have been showing signs of dissension recently, another loss might be the final straw to break for the team.
2. Dolph Ziggler vs. Bobby Roode
- Ziggler hasn’t wrestled a televised singles match since June. He’s been too busy with his gimmick of doing other people’s entrances.
- Ziggler hasn’t won a televised match since May when he defeated AJ Styles. Styles would avenge the loss the next week, however.
- Roode is undefeated on the main roster thus far. He’s defeated Mike Kannellis 2x and Aiden English once.
3. Randy Orton vs. Rusev
- These two wrestlers are 1-1 against each other. Orton defeated Rusev in 10 seconds at SummerSlam but then Rusev did the same to Orton (off a distraction by Aiden English) on a recent episode of Smackdown.
- Orton rudely interrupted the “Rusev Day” celebrations on Smackdown.
- This will be the rubber match between the two. The winner could move into title contention.
4. Hell in a Cell
Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon
- This match will probably go on last.
- In a way, this is the most important match in Kevin Owens’ career. Facing a McMahon is high-profile stuff.
- Last week on Smackdown, Shane McMahon changed the rules to make this a Falls Count Anywhere match.
5. United States Championship
AJ Styles (c) vs. Baron Corbin
- Styles will be going for his 6th straight title defense with a win here.
- He has defeated Kevin Owens 3x and Tye Dillinger 2x so far in this title reign.
- Styles never defended the title (aside from house shows) in his first reign with the United States championship.
- Since winning the MITB match, Corbin has been on a bit of a skid. He’s lost to Nakamura 2x, Cena, and Tye Dillinger in that period. He also lost to Jinder Mahal when he tried to cash in his MITB briefcase. He’s also defeated Dillinger 2x and Sami Zayn once in that time period.
- He’s 3-5 in singles matches since Money in the Bank.
- Styles and Corbin have met 2x before in singles action. Both matches happened this April and both were won by Styles.
- Dillinger defeated Corbin on Smackdown this week was interesting. Dillinger may have earned himself a spot back in United States title contention with that win.
6. WWE Tag Team Championships
the New Day (c) vs. the Usos
- With New Day winning the tag team championships at the Las Vegas edition of Smackdown last month, this rivalry is now tied 4 wins a piece in 2-0n-2 tag matches.
- No other tag-team on Smackdown has challenged for the belts since March.
- This should be the final blowoff to this rivalry, which will open the door for new challengers.
- Winners move on with the titles while the losers are probably out of title contention for some time or until another team wins the belts.
7. Smackdown Women’s Championship
Natalya (c) vs. Charlotte Flair
- Natalya will be going for her 2nd defense of the Smackdown women’s championship in this match.
- The record for the relatively new title is 5 title defenses held by Naomi.
- Natalya had previously defended the title against Naomi.
- This is just Charlotte’s 2nd title shot at the Smackdown women’s title. She had previously faced Naomi in a match that went to a no-contest.
8. WWE Championship
Jinder Mahal (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
- Jinder Mahal will be going for his 5th straight title defense here.
- So far, Mahal has defeated Randy Orton 2x, Baron Corbin, and Shinsuke Nakamura.
- On the main roster, Shinsuke Nakamura is 7-1 in singles matches. His only loss was last month to Jinder.
- If the Singh brothers get involved in this match Smackdown GM Daniel Bryan may want to consider banning them from ringside for Jinder’s next title defense.
Please follow and like us: